Friday, October 10, 2008

Martin Amis in a This 'n' That Chit-Chat

Here, the so-called Brit Scribbler — a.k.a. The Mouth That Roars — defends his newest tome, The Second Plane: September 11: Terror and Boredom (among other zing-ding things):

"His latest work," notes the below-cited Mr. Mayer, "requires little explanation . . . [it] collects his writings on this century’s galvanising event and its explosive fallout. The volume includes his first response (in London’s Guardian newspaper on Sept. 18, 2001) and a 10,000-word essay on the futility of satire in 'the age of horrorism,' as well as two short stories: one about Saddam Hussein’s torture palace and another entitled 'The Last Days of Mohammed Atta' (about the man suspected of leading the Sept. 11 attacks)."

HORRORISM, eh? Mr. Amis claims he coined the term, eh? Pity, ain't it? I almost believe the guy . . . almost; however, there are approximately a dozen posts I made to Usenet 15 September 2001 in which I coined the term, the most clearly identifiable ones cited in this reverse chronological-order listing of its inaugural appearances, the very first time the coinage appears in print, the very first of several many times, in fact, over the course of that day as can be seen at the bottom of this page (all written by Zoe / Zoë, my screen name on Usenet).

Natch, to protect my intellectual property, I also sign my own name so that, in case someone gets the bright idea that they can steal my hard-thought neologisms and well-wrought coinages, they'll think better of it. (Guess Mr. Amis doesn't think better of anything, IMO; p'raps the guy wasn't thinking at all? Who knows?)

Well, I, for one, do knows and it jes' goes to shows, eh?

Fortunately, I can prove that, at that time, when one searched Google, one also received Usenet postings in the lists of results; it was a different era; the 'Net was far more exclusive and far fewer surfers were actually online; thus, I can prove beyond the shadow of a clout of a doubt that, on 15 September 2001, I posted several articles to Usenet using my freshly minted "horrorism" phrase. Example?

"Terrorism is a calculated act against civilians; civilians weren't the primary target; ergo, it wasn't terrorism. Deductive logic is a bastard :). You know what puzzles me about the word, BTW-istically? The Aristotelean distinction between terror and horror. Shouldn't terrorism be called horrorism? I have always thought terrorism a bit of misnomer; but, I'm pit-nicking." (15 September 2001)

Hrm . . . So, Mr. Amis's Guardian exegesis, the one wherein he allegedly crows he coined the term "horrorism," the one that ran 18 September 2001, that one? Hrm . . . Whaddya know? Who'd a-thunk a guy of Mr. Amis's geniotic brilliance coulda (or allegedly woulda) stoop so low as to not give credit where credit's due? Who knew?

I did; and, I do (and, now, so do you and you; and, yep, another you, two :)).

The above-cited L'Inq specifically proves it, too. What's a dame to do? Graciously allow the guy to apparently rip off you know who? 'Course, I will; I'd not give him the pleasure of the thrill of losing face when it comes to the WTC catastrophic kill; we are on the same side, aren't we? (Mais, oui.) Just a wee co-ink-a-dinky <*winky, winky*>, obviously. HeHe . . .

Ol' Smarty Marty wouldn't sneak so low as to steal my coining and claim it as his own three days after mine appeared for the first time in the history of the Anguish, er, English language, would he? Nah; how could he; and, rally, why should he, right?

Outta mind; outta sight? G'Luck, Ol' Smarty Marty; plus, one terminally ultimate G'Night :) . . . Talk horrorism, Sweetie; but, next time, try to get the attribution right.

No comments:

Post a Comment