Tuesday, October 07, 2008

OK, folks ...

... this has nothing to do with books, but maybe someone has a clue as to what is going on and what to do about it. Last week, a couple of voice-mail messages were left for me. Since they had to do with debt collection, Debbie thought I should call back, which I did, only to find they had the right name but the wrong Social Security number. Moments ago I just got another guy dunning me - only this time it was the wrong address. Now "Frank Wilson" or "Francis Wilson" are pretty common monikers, I suspect. But I wonder how these people are getting my number, which is unlisted (and now it occurs to me that this has happened only since I changed my phone service to Comcast). I must say got uncommonly testy with the guy I just talked to. Is anyone else having this problem I wonder?

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:07 AM

    DO NOT give anyone your social sec. number. They are phishing for it and it's the key to identity theft! Find out (via caller i.d.) who is calling you and alert the police.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I didn't give them mine. They gave me the last four digits of one and asked if it was mine. It wasn't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't had that happen, but in our area, people got phone calls at 3 AM saying that their bank account was compromised, and that they needed to punch in their account information RIGHT NOW to unlock them. Don't know if anyone actually did that, but it's the first time I heard of a phishing technique used in meatspace.

    ReplyDelete