Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Points well taken ...

... CLASSICS, COMIX, DRAMA, EXISTENTIAL, FRENCH, MUSIC, NEWS. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)
Link is fixed.

I will concede Levi's point about Sartre's No Exit. I don't think that Hell is other people, but I do think that some people probably see it that way. So Sartre makes a valid observation. It's also a tightly constructed little drama, from which much can be learned. By the time Sartre got around to writing The Words I was no longer interested in reading him (bear in mind I actually had to study Being and Nothingness), but I have been told by others whose judgment I trust that it is worth reading. I think my principal gripe about Sartre is that the man himself spent a lifetime posturing, that he was usually, to use his own term, in a state of mauvaise foi.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:16 AM

    Thanks for meeting me in the middle on this one, Frank -- and happy birthday!

    One small point, the link above seems to be the wrong one -- this is the link.

    ReplyDelete