Monday, October 06, 2008

Quote of the day ...

... via Dave Lull:

Despite my admiration for scientific knowledge, I am not an adherent of scientism. For scientism dogmatically asserts the authority of scientific knowledge; whereas I do not believe in any authority and have always resisted dogmatism; and I continue to resist it, especially in science. I am opposed to the thesis that the scientist must believe in his theory. As far as I am concerned 'I do not believe in belief', as E. M. Forster says; and I especially do not believe in belief in science. I believe at most that belief has a place in ethics, and even here only in a few instances. I believe, for example, that objective truth is a value -- that is, an ethical value, perhaps the greatest value there is-- and that cruelty is the greatest evil.
- Karl Popper.


I can't say I believe in belief much myself. I certainly don't think it has much to do with faith. The latter word derives from the Latin fides, meaning trust. The former derives from an Old English term meaning to love or desire. Faith gives you the wherewithal to act in the face uncertainty and risk. Beliefs tend to be cherished notions one clings to - even in the face of evidence to the contrary. I do not "believe" in God, because to me God is not the conclusion of a line of reasoning. I do, however, trust - call it a hunch, if you will - that reality is sustained by a knowing, loving presence (I put it this way because, as I understand it, the term "God" cannot be thought of as referring to one being among other beings). The Tao that can be named is not the Tao.

No comments:

Post a Comment