Monday, October 13, 2008

Young readers ...


... we hear all the time these days about how young people don't read books. For some reason, despite this, I keep running into young people who read books and who also, when they hear I used to be a book-review editor, want to tell me all about what they're reading and why. I love this, because it enables me to learn things I would otherwise have no way of knowing.
Caitlin Kelly is our friend Betsy Green's niece (that's Betsy and Caitlin in the picture). I think she's 15. When we (I am not using the royal we; I mean Debbie and me) saw her this past summer she was engrossed, like many others her age, in Stephanie Meyer's Breaking Dawn. I had asked her to get in touch when she finished it and tell me what she thought of it. A short time later she wrote me a letter about it. Here's what she said (reproduced with her permission):
I finished Breaking Dawn today. I loved it. I loved the complete saga.
My dad asked me if I was sad it was over and I said, "No!," because the way Stephanie Meyer writes makes something inside me feel that I don't have to worry about it ending. In my head, even though the book is finished, it will go on and on forever ... like the main characters, because they are immortal.

Now is that passionate reading or what?

4 comments:

  1. Not only passionate reading, but, also? Inspiring and encouraging eavesdropping on our part. IOW, good news (since YouTube's blown a YouFuse or something).
    p.s. Doubt it was mostly adults who stole all those Welsh copies of Harry Potter books

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:27 AM

    Enthusiasm for literature is a big deal in my house. Last night my son and I had a passionate discussion about James Baldwin's "Sonny's Blues," which he'd just read for his 9th-grade English class. I could not believe how well he understood that story, since he is not a drug addict, or an inner-city oppressed kid, or a blues musician (though he does love music, esp. reggae). But he did. He showed me his journal on the story and he compared Sonny to Icarus (and the brother to Daedalus) in the most brilliant way. I couldn't believe my young kid could grasp these things (nor could his teacher, who had astonished comments about Mark's "insightfulness").

    We should not dumb down the curriculum for kids, but give them something they can rise to. I believe they will, and I still think no other art form helps us towards insights about humanity and ourselves in the way literature does. Of course, I am biased.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're an exceptional mother, though, Susan; we need more mothers like you, in fact. I remember seeing a pic of you and your daughter (graduating) and, in your description of the event, there was such respect and love and pride and genuine joy for her (instead of you), I thought then, that's a good mom. So, when I read about Mark's abilities and willingness to engage in intellectual activities, it doesn't surprise me. What does surprise me is the fact you think you're biased; I don't, not at all; I think you're right. My only complaint? More mothers aren't as right as you seem, to me, to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:17 PM

    Wow, Judith -- that is so kind. I am not sure I'm such a great mom, but I do like and respect my kids. They are cool people, apart from their relationship with me.

    However, can I hire *you* as my ego consultant?

    ReplyDelete