Wednesday, November 05, 2008

I agree, somewhat ...

... Speak to me.

Equally, many religious people (I use the term broadly) fail to understand the nature of scientific enquiry, let alone what drives scientists. They do not realize, for example, that I do science because I like to find out how things work.
This would, presumably, be religious people who are not scientists. John Polkinghorne presumably does understand this. Oddly enough, I, who am religious but not a scientist, think I understand it, too. But I wonder if Richard Dawkins understands it, since he seems to think that science does more than just explain how things work; or, rather, that the only thing we need to know about things is how they work, all reality being subsumed under the rubric of mechanics.

See also yesterday's Quote of the day.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:36 PM

    Hello Frank

    I'm not sure that Dawkins does understand it. There's quite a few of us, scientists with some flavour of faith, wondering just what the hell his (and others') beef is.

    I am drawing a bow at the characterization of Science as an atheistic worldview, but it might take me another couple of weblog entries to say as much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Richard,
    I look forward to reading those.
    Best,
    F

    ReplyDelete