Monday, December 01, 2008

On time ...

... Sunday Salon: Last Rituals reviewed.

I reviewed Yrsa Sigurdardottir's Last Rituals a while back myself and I concur entirely with what Maxine says. A typically fine review, by the way (Maxine's, that is).

As usual, Maxine's wish is my command. Here, at her request, is my review: An Icelandic Novel of Secret Symbols, Medieval Witchcraft, and Modern Murder.

When I read Maxine's review yesterday I didn't remember that I also brought up Nick and Nora Charles in mine. Great minds at work. One of the things I especially liked about Maxine's review was this: "She's curious about everything: I particularly liked her encouragement of the pathologist who did Harald's autopsy to describe the molecular basis of muscle contraction." That's the sort of thing I wonder about when I read a book like this, because I have to take what is said on faith. Maxine informs me that it's sound.Very few reviewers could do that.

Post bumped

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:40 PM

    I remember seeing your review, Frank, but not reading it because I did not want to read a review before I read the book - any chance you could link to it now? I'd love to read it. I think the book must have been out in the US before the UK, though the copy I read has been circulated round a few people! (Currently Norman of Crime Scraps has it.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:52 PM

    Thanks for the link, Frank. Good review! And isn't that amazing about Nick/Nora. I wonder how many other people these days have read Hammett and would get that. I wonder if even Yrsa herself has read Hammett - must ask her if I get the chance!
    (and thanks for the nice words about the review.)

    ReplyDelete