Sunday, November 16, 2008

One per person ...

... death, that is: Obit magazine.

This is neat: On Hypochondria: The Thrill of Fear. I've pretty much beat hypochondria. I had to. I did some medical editing years ago, and to stick with that you have to shake the tendency to hypochondria. Otherwise you'd go nuts.

Here's Michael Crichton, The Skeptic. (A slight quibble: I fail to see why his skepticism about global warming would make Crichton right-wing. Freeman Dyson is skeptical about global warming. I doubt if very many people regard Pr0fessor Dyson as right-wing. That's what comes of thinking that science has something to do with consensus.)

1 comment:

  1. Egawds, living with a hypochrondriac cures you faster than anything else, trust me; I never get sick till I'm in the ambulance; I'm exactly the opposite to the point of near-neglect, stupidly.

    Oddly enough, however, speaking of obits? I don't know how it was at The Inky; but, at both The Globe and The Star, the biggest outpourings of umbrageous howlings always happened when either the obits or the horoscopes were cut; they had to bring them back, each and every time they tried to lose them (and, it's not like The Globe is, for example, in terms of the point I'm making, anywhere near yellow in its journalistic colours).

    I know they're related; but, I just can't quite put my finger on the way they are (except that it may have something to do with the pseudo-personal and very human element both possess; I mean, reading the TSX report just doesn't involve that same human-interest angle / angel, I guess).

    ReplyDelete