Thursday, April 09, 2009

It's a Beautiful Day in the BlabberHood

Do any of you feel particularly share-ishical? Just confessed to a friend my guilty pleasure a minute ago; and, earlier today, in another context, had to reveal the same guilty pleasure to my boss to explain an allusion to something else. This is disgusting . . . spoiler alert . . . (and, Dr. McLuhan, go talk to St. Peter or something):

I don't own a televison because?

Okay: Everyday at 4:31 (after the credits), I would stop whatever I happened to be doing and watch The Young and Restless. (Even sex, although it was not my preferred time of day for same so it wasn't much of a prob in that department.)

I'm sorry. I loved it; it took over my life, though. I planned everything around it. NO. I didn't wish to tape it and see it LATER. I would be out of the loop; and, then? I would have to discuss the events of what was happening on the sop-op with my BFF, also a poet and closet obsesso, and we often howled with pain or laughter (over Victor's neck, mostly).

I haven't checked anything about the show lately; but, I wonder if Cricket's still lawyering? Did Brad marry Victoria? Is Sharon having more babies? And, does anyone remember the David and Sheila storyline where he got his comeuppance by being crushed in a garbage-compacting truck on a Very Good Friday? Ooooh . . . we talked about that all weekend! BFF even taped it. We watched it with glee about a hunnert times! That's why I don't watch TV.

Confession is good for the soul, especially the day before Good Friday, don'tcha think?

Okay. Your turn. (And, yes, I'll still suspect you in the morning :).)

2 comments:

  1. Y&R? I have more of a One Life to Live temperament. I find the ongoing story of two intertwined families redolent of the Icelandic sagas. Amazing the things one can get hooked on when one often works from home...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't One Life to Live the one with the famous Luke and Laura story? I remember that, actually. Also, the baby-switcheroo storyline. Thing is, I tried not to become a watcher of other soaps because I knew I'd never get a thing done. I always justified watching it because it began at 4:30 in Canada; and, so, natch, that's when one's blood sugar and energy bit the dust.

    Y&R follows the same premise, actually. You're right, though, Jeff, about the Icelandic saga parallels. Same with Y&R; but, since I've just spent a very enjoyable couple hours at WIKIPEDIA reading about soaps, seems OLTL broke a lot of barriers on daytime television and, I do remember GFs in high school watching it. I used to kinda "harumph" 'em and walk away from the discussions. I liked it better when we played poker in the cafeteria.

    It is an occupational hazard, working at home and having that lure. I tried parental controls to stop, too. Nope. I remember begging the EX-IT to give me the password one day (even though I'd given him permish to ignore me; and, then, when he wouldn't, I threatened to drop the TV off the balcony :) if he didn't fork it over ipso-pronto).

    When he got home, he read the riot act and said he refused to become further involved in any sop-op to do with a sop-op (since, of course, by then, he was also quite the little watcher himself). I do remember he'd make a pot of espresso noisily in the kitchen when I was working, about fifteen minutes before the show, and clearing his throat and stuff . . .

    Anyway, according to WIKIPEDIA, it's still the top-rated daytime soap. The other thing? My BFF and I would be on the subway, say, in Toronto, discussing the peeps in the same way we'd discuss family members. Thing was, the moment a lot of peeps around us figured out we were discussing Lauren and Paul from the show, they'd in-butt with their own opinions.

    Great ice-breaker; and, at the doughnut shop, Timmeh's, we'd get weird looks if peeps didn't know what we were discussing because, you know, opining on the slut who stole Nikki's boyfriend and how she'd gotten knocked up to woo him away made us look, well, kinda kooky, I guess. They moved away from us on the Group W bench. (Thanks, Arlo.)

    Oh, yeah, FDL will love this: The show's set in Genoa City, WI (and, I found out WHY you like OLTL, Jeff: I think I remember you mentioning you and Frank met occasionally for famous Philly cheesesteaks? Your show's set in a fictional Philly 'burb!).

    See, I'm sitting here wondering, now I know, how great Y&R would look in HD (and, it does run in HD). I'm thinking, hockey playoffs, baseball, and the soap and wondering what corners I can cut; and, that's gotta stop right now :).

    But, Victor ain't dead yet! Jack's looking old and greyish. I thought these actors got cosmetic work done? Shows what I know . . .

    My good bad; but, the really magnif thing about it? The bad peeps always perished, unlike the RW (which comprises another kind of soap opera, one for which Y&R inadequately prepared me because you can't change the channel :)) . . .

    ReplyDelete