Monday, October 11, 2010

Back to school ...

Last Thursday, at the invitation of my friend -- and When Falls The Coliseum editor -- Scott Stein, I visited one of the classes Scott teaches at Drexel University. It is actually an honors seminar for freshman. The subject? Blogging.
Once again, I was struck by the disconnect between what one hears about the younger generation -- they don't read, etc. -- and the reality of the young people sitting in front of me. They seemed to me to be paying attention to what this old guy was saying and those who posed questions posed good ones.
One of the students, for instance, asked what I thought was a good thing to blog about. I said anything you're really interested in. Her blog -- not surprisingly, all the kids in the class have to blog -- is called Creative Gift Ideas for People You Love. Actually, I think that's a pretty good idea for a blog, one that could turn out to serve a very real need for a lot of people.
Another good question was how to increase traffic to your blog, which reminded of me of just how much blogging is a social activity, capable of drawing together all sorts of people from all over the world, since traffic increases the more you link and are linked to in return.
I had a great time visiting this class. I hope the students found it as much as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment