Thursday, January 26, 2012

I will try to help ...

... Twitter / @BryanAppleyard: Ayn Rand is now a top app. ...

I wrote an article having something to do with this book a couple of years ago, so I had to read a good bit of it. Given the stilted dialogue (I think I am actually being kind) you would think it would have disappeared without a trace. But, like a good soap opera, the mechanics of the narrative are pretty well done. But the key point is that, when people read a book, if the book  catches them, they put themselves into it. And many people, deep down - maybe even Bryan, maybe even me - want to be John Galt - if only briefly - just to be able to cry halt to the world we live in. Ayn Rand may not have known how to write literature, but she did, on some instinctive level, know how to create myth.

No comments:

Post a Comment