Saturday, January 28, 2012

Indeed ...

... Paul Davis On Crime: A Brit Looks At An American Crime Writer: Elmore Leonard - The Great American Novelist.

From Hensher's piece:
Leonard's work is a very long way from the average crime novel, with its sequence of atrocity, mystery, maverick investigator and solution. He is fascinated, for instance, with the mechanics of writing, and wants his readers to share that interest. Characters investigate the textures of dialogue – "'How come,' Raylan said, 'you can't answer a question without asking one?'" (Riding the Rap.) They discuss diction in intricate detail – Foley and Buddy reading a newspaper report in Out of Sight: "'They think you may "flee the country."' 'I've had to run like hell a few times,' Foley said, 'but I don't think I've done any fleeing. You ever flee?' 'Yeah. I read one time I fled the scene of a robbery.'"
I have written a couple of times that Leonard should get the Nobel. Like Dickens, he has created a world.

No comments:

Post a Comment