Sunday, February 12, 2012

RIP ...

... Edward Feser: John Hick (1922-2012). (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)

Odd. I I never thought of Hick as theologically left, whatever that means, though I did grasp that he was unorthodox. Nevertheless I was impressed by his Who or What is God? Of course, I am a cradle Catholic and, if not exactly unorthodox, at least Jesuit-trained. That involves, as I see it, bringing some imagination to the religious life. I went to Mass today at Our Lady Queen of Peace in Brooklyn, a Franciscan parish around the corner from where we usually stay. I slept poorly last night, but dragged myself up to go.  There were only about 10 people there at the 8 a.m. Mass, but I found it strangely moving. This happens often when I attend Mass there. And throughout this day God has been very nice to me. Which makes me suspicious. Because, in the long run, faith into;yes suffering, something I have spent my life trying to avoid. I always worry that God may put me in the position of having to make an actual sacrifice. Faith, one must always bear in mind, is not principally a set of doctrines. It is a pledge of loyalty.

No comments:

Post a Comment