Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The International Herald Tribune ...

This is the last time you will be reading The International Herald Tribune; as of tomorrow, it is The International New York Times.

I remember reading about the International Herald Tribune in novels.  It always seemed to be such an exotic reference, used by the characters to pass spy messages within its classifieds, and other such things. 
   
In January 1991, I was overseas in the Hague, a young and callow lawyer on business trip, in my small European hotel, in the room where Anna Pavlova had died of pleurisy in 1931, and had CNN International on, with James Earl Jones' station intro voice over ("This is CNN...") and the US suddenly went to war in Iraq, and Bernard Shaw was reporting from his hotel in Bagdad, audio only..."the cruise missile is coming overhead, I can see it from my room...” 


That was the first time I experienced live that same exotica.

No comments:

Post a Comment