Thursday, June 26, 2014

Throwing giddy Molotovs …

… Emily Gould, Literary Narcissism, and the Middling Millennials | Reluctant Habits.


Ed evidently is not fond of Miss Emily. I can tell from the comments that this does not sit well with some  people. I also knew nothing about Emily Gould before reading this. I am sure a defense of Gould can be mounted, but Ed does seem to present a fair amount of prima facie evidence to support his indictment. I don't agree with everything Ed says. I don't agree with anybody on everything. But I have to say I love it when he pulls out all the stops. Does he ever go overboard? Of course. But he also always manages to climb back on board to sail another day. In this day of rampant PC, how refreshing that seems.

4 comments:

  1. I'm not particularly interested in getting involved in any culture wars - too many black currants to pick and make into jam at the moment, for example - but you're right: Ed at his best is very good indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't heard of a "lot" of people in the piece--but then, I don't live in NYC. But I would have to agree that the article needed to be shorter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vikram, is 'shorter' a euphemism for 'less forthright'? Otherwise, I tend to feel that it's a privilege of the blogger to write exactly as much as he feels compelled to write. In fact, I applaud someone who is willing to defy online (or any other) conventions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, shorter in the sense of the length that might retain the reader's attention. I felt drained listening to his vitriol but it did not seem to finish.

    ReplyDelete