Saturday, January 10, 2015

Executive Editor of the NYT gets...

ugly:
New York Times executive editor Dean Baquet called an associate professor at the USC Annenberg School an "asshole" on Facebook today after the professor took a shot at Baquet for not running Charlie Hebdo's Muhammed cartoons.
"Dear Marc," Baquet wrote to USC's Marc Cooper, "appreciate the self righteous second guessing without even considering there might be another point of view. Hope your students are more open minded. Asshole."
Reached via email, Baquet told POLITICO: "Lots of people have disagreed with my decision. Some of them are in The Times. I get that. Mr Cooper's comment was nasty and arrogant. So I told him what I thought."

6 comments:

  1. And so there you have more evidence about the slip-and-slide hazards of social media. Would either "gentleman" engage in such "dialogue" face-to-face? What is it about Facebook, Twitter, and other platforms that encourages such incivility and ugliness? (Note: I have taken no position regarding the merits of each man's argument; I simply offer up an argument about why I avoid Facebook and Twitter, and I think Blogger is nearly as dangerous.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, R.T., no getting your emotions out in a draft letter and then tearing it up these days. (of course if the guy had made the right decision he wouldn't be here anyway.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Which guy and which here???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok Mr. (or is it Dr.?) Pedantic, a/k/a retired English Professor...guy is the NYT editor and here is in the place of embarrassing himself on social media :) (Now I'll see if you criticize the winter poem I just put up :o )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not meant to offend. I was simply confused and needed clarification. However, you underscore one of the problems with Blogger -- how can we correctly discern tone? Perhaps this little exchange is my clear signal: I need to abandon Blogger so that I no longer offend.

      Delete
  5. nonono I was not offended AT ALL (you wouldn't believe what it takes to offend me given my life.) That is why I threw the smiley faces (a/k/a emojis) into my comment. Your comments were very well taken and accurate and I meant to show that I was not offended at all -- just the opposite and grateful for your corrections (albeit apparently I did not make my NON offense clear at all...) BTW, and interestingly, Blogger and the like may call for a new, different kind of writing because
    they won't really go away I think any time soon.

    ReplyDelete