Friday, January 09, 2015

Patrick Modiano


I had a long chat last week with Frank about Patrick Modiano, the French author who's been awarded the Nobel Prize. 

Like many, I was not familiar with Modiano's oeuvre, despite the fact that he's put out a book a year for the past several decades. 

And so, this week, I bought and read one of the few Modiano texts translated into English, Dora Bruder. I'll be writing a formal review of the book for Rain Taxi later this winter. For now, though, let me say: what a terribly sad work. But then, what a transcendent one, too. 

Much like Sebald, Modiano lurks in the shadows, in those spaces overcome with tragedy and loss. I finished Dora Bruder in three sittings, and it's sure to stay with me. I'll publish a link to my review when it appears. 

With Paris in the news so much this week, and with violence swirling around, there was something about reading Modiano at this moment - this exact moment - that seemed so perfectly, well, Modiano. 

For here's an author who believes in connections across time and space. And to read his book about Paris now - about the city at a different time, of course, but under equally violent conditions - evoked that transcendent, almost eerie, quality for which Modiano must be known. 

Let me highly recommend this book. 

2 comments:

  1. Here is a sad but true tidbit: the public library in my neck of the words has nothing by Modiano. Well, I will work on correcting that deficiency. First, though, motivated by your endorsement, I will purchase and read Dora Bruder. And I look forward to your review at Rain Taxi. (Note: I was once upon a time poised to write for Rain Taxi but we reached an impasse.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wondering which of his books I ought to begin with, so thanks for the recommendation. DB is now on order.

    ReplyDelete