Sunday, May 10, 2015

Better than posterity …

… Bellow After Death by Gary Shteyngart | NYRblog | The New York Review of Books. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)

“As a Jew you are also an American, but somehow also not,” Chick muses. I could well hear these words emerge from my father’s mouth, and from others of his generation, and for a few bunkered-in Jewish stalwarts of my own. But how I disagree, generationally and experientially, with that line of thinking. In post-Seinfeldian, post–Larry-Davidian America, the very opposite could be inferred: “As an American you are also a Jew, but somehow also not.” The fantasies of being pogrommed out of New Hampshire by an anti-Semitic militia nonetheless serve as a useful reminder of what post-Holocaust life was like for a generation of Jews who believed the ashes of the crematoria could one day fall upon the Berkshires.
I don't know. There's a lot of what looks like old-time anti-Semitism out there these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment