Wednesday, May 06, 2015

Willa Cather


I remember the first time I was exposed to Willa Cather: it was 2005. But here I am now, making good on a promise to myself - and to a friend - to read Death Comes for the Archbishop

The only other novel of Cather's I've read, I should note, is The Professor's House. I remember enjoying that book (in 2008), but finding myself, ultimately, unmoved. 

...Which is largely how I felt last night after finishing Archbishop. For me, Cather's prose are simply too precious, too gentle. In fact, having now read Marilynne Robinson, I can identify something of Cather in her novels and their deliberate, earthly rhythms. (Gilead: not for me.)

It's not that there's anything wrong particularly with Archbishop; it's more that the novel hinges on Cather's sense of quiet, of balance. And those aren't themes which, for me, resonate much. I prefer instead - and I think Frank knows this - something noisier, something which reaches for more. Archbishop is not that. 

But the book does, I think, capture the spirit of an age, even if some of the passages are stilted in their didactic qualities. Cather's treatment of Kit Carson, especially, reads more like a history text than literature. That said, Cather does generate a few lasting meditations, many of them having to do with mortality: "I shall not die of a cold," she writes. "I shall die of having lived."

Ultimately, Archbishop is a book that sits there, pretty, ready to be observed. But it's not a book that shakes or evolves or struggles. It's rather like the beautiful Arizona skies Cather describes: crystalline and blue, but rarely rainy. 



2 comments:

  1. Jesse, I think your appreciation for the "passivity" of Cather's novel is the key: she is portraying a life lived in service to and in the embrace of God, and that is the ultimate peaceful and tranquil achievement for any person. Cather will not give you thrills and spills, but she will give you insights into how to live a better life. Perhaps I am overstating the case, and perhaps someone more knowledgeable about Cather will correct me, but that is my simple assessment of Cather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right - I agree. But I think it's the "embrace of God" that pushed me away, that left the book somehow unfinished. There's no question that ideas of service and struggle define the novel, and the idea of a "better life" is there, too. No doubt. Thanks, R.T. Always a treat to get your thoughts. --Jesse

    ReplyDelete