Tuesday, January 05, 2016

Poetics …

… Recovering the Art of Poetry | The American Conservative. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)

a poem is not “pure” as though existing in some unreal, merely “possible” world of self-reflective isolation or dream. Rather, it remembers and then retells part of the story of the world of cosmic time and human history, a world made and given by the love and grace of God and therefore objectively real. The world is simply there for us to perceive, be grateful for, and try to comprehend.
Fundamentally, I am in agreement with the point of view of this review and also, I suspect, of the book under review. I think it is absolutely essential for anyone who wants to write poetry in whatever language to be immersed in the heritage and practices of metrical composition. But meter leads different people in different ways. Kenneth Rexroth's insight into how crucial cadence is to the poetic line should always be kept in mind. Inflection is equally crucial. Mastery of these is necessary for the rubato that allows verse to live and breathe. Meter grows out of language. Language does not grow out of meter. No one doubts that the King James Version of the Psalms is a masterpiece of poetry. Whitman's adaptation of the Psalms to achieve a peculiarly American poetry — the Psalms being quite familiar to Americans of all classes at the time — is simply a demonstration that, in some cases, you have to take a step back before you can resume going forward, to listen to where meter and rhyme come from, and remind yourself that you have to learn to tap your foot in time before you can waltz.
I should mention that somewhere in my effects are a couple of letters I exchanged with J. V. Cunningham, who is mentioned in this piece. I had reviewed the two volumes of his collected poems and essays and he very nicely dropped me a note of thanks, saying that it was nice to be praised for what one would like to be praised for. I wrote and asked him if he would look at some poems I had recently written. It was at the time I was intrigued with medieval forms. He told me to send them along. I did, and he wrote back with a terrific insight. He told me that I had perfected a style. Now I had to do something with it. Since then I have tried.

Post bumped.

No comments:

Post a Comment