Friday, January 01, 2016

The enduring bien-pensant problem …

… The Enduring George Weigel Problem | Commonweal Magazine. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)

Where to begin? Well, let's start with the phrase "climate science denialists." Literally, this would refer to someone who denies the existence of something called climate science. Who might that be? Certainly not George Weigel. No, this is a cheap-shot weasel phrase conflating disagreement with a certain faction in climate science with those who deny the holocaust. Among those who disagree with that faction would be Freeman Dyson, Richard Lindzen, and Judith Curry, all of whom, I suspect, are better qualified to discuss the actual science than the author of this piece, identified as "a climate change advisor," whatever that is. The sheer intemperance of this piece, combined with the absence of argument and evidence, leads me to suspect he is some sort of lobbyist. (More than 35 years ago Dyson was a key player in pioneering multidisciplinary climate studies.)
Actually, there isn't much of substance in this piece. The author is a so-called progressive who objects to Weigel, who, he claims,  is a conservative Republican. He may well be. The author probably also would despise me for being a libertarian. What qualifies him to adjudicate theological matters escapes me (somebody named David Schindler has somehow refuted Lockean liberalism). But I know this: I care about what the Church teaches regarding faith and morals. When it comes to science, I go elsewhere for instruction.
I am finding it harder and harder to take Commonweal seriously.

I should have noted that I have spoken with George Weigel over the phone (back when I was The Inquirer's book editor). I remember thinking how much he sounded like the priests who taught me in high school. Weigel wants the Church to remain faithful to itself. That has, after all, been its main selling point lo these many centuries. Our Commonweal brother wants the Church to kiss this age's ass. 

No comments:

Post a Comment