Sunday, March 20, 2016

Writing for money …

… The Rest Is Advertising | Jacob Silverman. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)

As a freelance journalist, you learn, with a great deal of self-loathing, to follow the scent of cash. Every so often, a writer friend stumbles upon a startup, or a journal backed by a well-heeled foundation, and a flag goes up: there’s money here! And off we stampede, like hogs snuffling through the underbrush in search of truffles, pitching and writing until the funds dry up or an editor gets laid off.
Gee, I was a freelance writer for quite a few years, but I missed the self-loathing part. I was a mercenary. Had pen, would write. So what? I had a family to support. People needed things written. Just goes to show what a low-life I am.
I do think the sponsored content business could prove kind of icky, but for the publication, not the hired pen. He's just doing a job, and he should get on with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment