Friday, March 13, 2020

Worth noting …

… Bruce Charlton's Notions: Birdemic bleg.

Bruce Charlton is a physician and has been a professor of medicine.
I would note that, according to the CDC, between October 1, 2019 and February 29, 2020, there have been between 22,000 – 55,000 flu deaths in this country. Please take note of the range. Hardly what I would call precise. When Will Rogers said that "All I know is what I read in the newspapers," he was joking. Now, though, many people seem to have an evangelical faith in what the media tells them. To its credit, CNBC has reported that there are now two strains of COVID-19, the newer one being less aggressive than the first, whose frequency has decreased since January. But I haven't seen much made of this.
Anyway, color me skeptical (which is what journalists are supposed to be, though many of today's seem selectively credulous to me).

No comments:

Post a Comment