Monday, October 30, 2006

Well, this is different ...

... Rus Bowden sends along this link: Poet whose life was short but whose poems endure. Click on the audio at the upper right hand corner and you have the thing read to you.

I'd rather hear one of the poems read, if possible by the poet. I think, by the way, that the thesis is untenable - and for a number of reasons. First, I don't understand why being "less inclined to syllogism and more inclined to gush forth in torrents of splendor both auditory and visual" is such an advantage. I also don't get the bit about Stevens being inclined to syllogism - and his auditory and visual splendor is pretty apparent. Moreover, really good poets don't simply gush forth. Second, Crane's "determination to pursue the visionary quest: the search for meaning, wholeness and something beyond the limits of ordinary understanding" is only valuable insofar as it resulted in great poetry. I have nothing against Crane's poetry, but I don't think it is anywhere near as great as Rubin suggests.

No comments:

Post a Comment