Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Urban legends, steampunk-style.

Well, it's not steampunk, more like actual Victoriana. Has anyone else heard of Spring-Heeled Jack? I've been listening to Morrissey today (as you do), and although I've heard the song "Spring-Heeled Jim" 200,000 times in my life it occurred to me for the first time to wonder about its title: Is it a reference to something from history or literature, as so many lyrics of his are? I guess in a way it's both, because looking online I have been reading about old Jack, who was apparently a penny dreadful character and a scary man-like creature that some people claimed was real. Apparently he could jump really high and liked to terrorize and assault people on the street. If you look at the drawing of him, which appears clearer in the wikipedia entry, get ready for the fright of your life.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:58 PM

    i love that album, what about the terrifying & fantastic buzzsaw intro to 'Speedway'? If you absolutely had to die by driving your car into a crowd of chavs at high speed, you'd want to be listening to that song.

    ReplyDelete