Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Interesting ...

... Liberal Fascism by Jonah Goldberg/The Assault on Liberty by Dominic Raab.

I downloaded Goldberg's book on my Kindle because I was curious about a book that had made it on to the NYT best-seller list without ever being reviewing in the Times or most other papers and because I didn't want to pay the full price for what I suspected might be a screed. I was pleasantly surprised to find it was a well-written historical survey of a set of ideas and how they grew. I was also surprised by what I learned about Mussolini.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:03 AM

    What is happening in the Kindle world is nothing else that is happening on the Internet. Fragmentation takes place and there will be more and more books successful on Kindle that do not go the traditional path of old fashioned book publishing processes and promotions. A good read, also a Kindle Best-Seller, is 8W8 - Global Space Tribes demonstrating how everyone is hooking up to the world of the 21st century. Or check out www.8w8.com. It is a pretty comprehensive story. Great read when traveling ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:46 PM

    Given your pleasant surprise upon reading the book, doesn't that make you wonder why it wasn't reviewed in the Times or most other papers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I don't wonder about that at all. Jonah Goldberg is a conservative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you may not wonder why, but the more important question is "do you think it's right?"

    ReplyDelete