Friday, February 27, 2009

Blow by blow ...

... An Opinionated Play-by-Play of the Plantinga-Dennett Exchange. (Hat tip, Dave Lull, who also sends along this: The Recent Dennett-Plantinga A. P. A. Debate and the Question of Tone in Philosophy.

This is worrisome:
I prefer to remain anonymous for various reasons, in particular because I am inclined towards Plantinga's position over Dennett's and were this to become well-known it could damage or destroy my career in analytic philosophy. This is something I prefer not to put my family through. I almost didn't publish these comments at all, but as far as I could tell, this would be the only public record of the discussion.
Friends, if you can identify me, I request that you keep my identity secret. I am sharing my thoughts as a service to the philosophical community and all those who have an interest in such debates. But I prefer not to suffer at the hands of my ardently secular colleagues. This is not to say that all secular analytic philosophers are this way; they most certainly are not. But enough of them are that I cannot risk being known publicly.

No comments:

Post a Comment