Sunday, April 10, 2011

Sounds right to me ...

... The Management Myth - Magazine - The Atlantic.

After I left the consulting business, in a reversal of the usual order of things, I decided to check out the management literature. Partly, I wanted to “process” my own experience and find out what I had missed in skipping business school. Partly, I had a lot of time on my hands. As I plowed through tomes on competitive strategy, business process re-engineering, and the like, not once did I catch myself thinking, Damn! If only I had known this sooner! Instead, I found myself thinking things I never thought I’d think, like, I’d rather be reading Heidegger! It was a disturbing experience. It thickened the mystery around the question that had nagged me from the start of my business career: Why does management education exist?

1 comment:

  1. as someone who is in the middle of a management program, I would have to disagree with Stewart. Sure, management education is not de riguer for success in the business world. but it is very useful for someone who would like a foundation in the basic tenets of good management. areas such as debt-equity, inventory management, marketing research can do with some basic learning.

    ReplyDelete