Sunday, November 30, 2014

Sad, but true …

Liberal arts take wrong direction.
The moderator's next move was to direct each student to say his or her name and say, "I am gay." So it went, around the table. "I'm Sarah Smith, and I am gay." "I'm Seth Farber, and I am gay." When it was my friend's turn, he politely refused. The moderator, of course, demanded an explanation. With some trepidation, my friend simply stated the truth: "This exercise is absurd and offensive and has nothing to do with the purposes for which we came to Williams College: to learn to think carefully, critically, and for ourselves." Confirming the old dictum that bullies are cowards who will never stand up to people who have the temerity to stand up to them, the moderator backed off.
Like Nat Hentoff, I think people should be allowed to think and say what they want, even it offends me or you, if only because it is useful to know what people really think.

No comments:

Post a Comment