Saturday, May 30, 2015

Back from oblivion …

… 'I spent most of my life as a nobody': the last of the silent movie stars | Film | The Guardian. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)

Cary’s father died in 1961, her mother in 1977. “It was sad – I realised they never really learned anything, about me or about themselves.” The Baby Peggy experiment was never discussed in the family. “They didn’t ask if it affected my life… if I enjoyed it. It’s astonishing, in a way. I was the one who did all that, earned all that money, and they weren’t even curious.” It was only Cary’s sister who, before she died in 2005, wrote to acknowledge something. “She said, ‘I’ve been thinking about your life. How hard you worked at an age when my own children had nothing more to think about than potty training. And I think it’s time that somebody said thank you.’”

No comments:

Post a Comment