Saturday, June 20, 2015

MY FATHER-SON RELATIONSHIP

From my son -- about Father's Day

“Do you still celebrate Father’s day?” my roommate asked, matter of factly, while we sat on the back porch listening to music and drinking PBRs.
I shrugged it off.
“I still have a father, so yeah.” I told her while laughing off the question, trying to convince myself it was a silly thing for her to ask. I just wanted to go back to talking about who was sleeping with who. In fact, comedy was always a deflection device for me. I don’t want to talk about myself, because then I would have to address the existence of my thoughts, problems, and flaws. Self reflection is painfully necessary thing for me. Her question was a response to the news that my father was born a human male but has transitioned, over the past few years, into a female.





1 comment: