Thursday, February 18, 2016

Just so you know …

… Genetic Ancestry Is Basically a Horoscope | RealClearScience.

Think about it. As you travel back in time though your family history, the number of ancestors you have roughly doubles with every generation. Using the most conservative estimate of generation time -- 32 years -- in the year 1152, you had as many as 134,217,728 potential ancestors. And since genes are scrambled with every generation, it's very likely you share little to no genetic relation to most of them. They might as well be strangers!
I've never understood why people are so interested in finding out if an ancestor of theirs was someone of note.  Am I supposed to believe that I've done what I have because some ancestor of mine did what he did. Well, I don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment