Sunday, September 22, 2019

Worrisome …

… Amy Coney Barrett Is Not a Safe Pick for the Supreme Court. | Human Events. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)

Barrett co-authored a scholarly legal article with John H. Garvey, now the President of the Catholic University of America. They stated their conclusion quite bluntly:
[W]e believe that Catholic judges (if they are faithful to the teaching of their church) are morally precluded from enforcing the death penalty. This means that they can neither themselves sentence criminals to death nor enforce jury recommendations of death.
Judges administer the law as enacted by the legislature. If they cannot do that in good conscience, they should resign. I have reservations about the death penalty, because I think it is bad to kill people, but were I judge, I would have to put aside my private reservations and as the law prescribes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment