Friday, November 15, 2019

Encountering Mr. Blake …

… zmkc: William Blake - Tate Britain. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)

Ultimately, I wondered if the problem I was having was more than anything a difference of temperament. I have noticed that fans of the apocalyptic and the Gothic tend not to be strong on humour and I felt that Blake too, although in some ways perhaps an absurd figure himself, had no sense of the absurd. There is a poignance in some of the accounts contained in the exhibition of how even in his own time barely anyone - possibly no one - understood his larger projects. Now I notice that they are being championed by Patti Smith among others - another charismatic but solemn figure. Perhaps at heart I am too flippant to be a romantic and this is where William Blake and I parted our ways?
I think this is wonderful. It is how we ought to encounter art and artists. Honestly.

No comments:

Post a Comment