Friday, September 30, 2022

Listening to your chaacters …

David Milch on Language and Obscenity in Deadwood. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)
Every day, before I start to write, I pray, and I ask to be willing, and then I see what happens. “I offer myself to Thee to build with me and do with me as Thou wilt. Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I may better do Thy will.” People who’ve been in recovery might recognize that as the third-step prayer, and that’s the one I say every day. It’s my asking to have the perspective of self lifted and to give myself to the situation and the characters. I find that I function most effectively when I sort of disembody myself. I lie there on the floor and I talk and the words come up on the screen and then I fix the words, but I never actually lay my hands on anything, a computer or a typewriter, none of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment