Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Mel Gibson and Christ’s Passion …

… Appassionato | Eve Tushnet. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)

I get why it doesn’t work for a lot of people. Passion is an intensely personal vision, and the person having the vision is, you know, Mel Gibson. If you were revolted by it, I think you’re reacting to things that are also really there in the movie. Below are some thoughts on specific aspects of the film.

I saw a preview of it when it first came out. It seemed to me to an ecceliastical snuff movie,


 

1 comment:

  1. Frank, I think the film is great. The graphic scenes are historically accurate, based on the Roman records. Yes, the film is indeed violent, but the film touched me, and the first time I saw it I truly understood how much Jesus suffered for our sins. I also like that the film is in Latin and Aramaic with English. The film is well made and there are so many great scenes that touched me. You ought to give the film a viewing. I'd be curious to know what you think of it. (BTW, Gibson is making a sequel to the film with Jim Caviezel, who is a devout Christian, again as Jesus.

    ReplyDelete