Thursday, March 09, 2006

Morton's fork strikes again ...

Maxine Clarke links to a post Blaming the Media.
Years ago I had one of those jobs that you take because you need the money and acquire thereby a very valuable skill you would not have otherwise: I wrote abstracts of government reports -- i.e., reports filed upon completion of a project subsidized by government grant. I learned a couple of things. One was that a lot of taxpayer money is poorly spent. Second -- and most important -- I learned how to read a government report. I mention this because I have frequently concluded, after reading a report concerning a government report, that the reporter obviously did not know how to read one. It is the sort of thing that contributes to the growing lack of faith in the media.

No comments:

Post a Comment