Thursday, March 02, 2006

The original point ...

... of this blog was to provide a behind-the-scenes look at a book review editor's job. I have, I think wisely, largely ignored that boring theme, but since I have just arrived home after a 13-hour day, I thought I'd give a glimpse of the excitement somebody in my position experiences from time to time. I ended up having to move a couple of extra reviews for the March 12 issue, had to go through a podcast interview I did with Glenn Reynolds yesterday (you can hear it Sunday), there was a big meeting about moving some of the book coverage to another section of the paper, chats with publicists for art and books and author appearances and interviews, dealing with copy-deak objections to my Sunday column, making up a list of the reviews I have in hand, and at the last minute pitching in to proof the Sunday Arts & Entertainment section. Lunch was a slice of pizza and later some cake from a going-away party. Otherwise just a lot of coffee for fuel.
Romantic, eh?

2 comments:

  1. Yes, Willis, it was the hours that eventually got to me -- especially because I have lately been, for the first time ever in my life, plagued by insomnia. Used to be, when I lived a more rakish life, I would sleep the sleep of the blessed. Now that I've become a staid citizen, my nights are restless.
    The best thing yesterday was listening to the interview with Glenn, because he is so interesting and articulate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your day sounds just like many of mine, minus the lunch and the cake. I share your pain!

    But as I keep telling myself, I am very lucky to be in the job I am doing compared with many others that I could be doing.....

    Sympathies about the insomnia too. I've been plagued by it for years and it is debilitating. In my case there are some probable/possible "reasons", but probably also there are un-knowable reasons.
    One thing, though, that coffee. I love coffee but I drink it only once a day: a cup as soon as I get into work in the morning. Then that's it. If I drink any coffee after that, sleep is really impossible rather than just fitful.

    Or maybe it would be a more palatable cure to stop being staid!
    I wouldn't know, as I've now been staid for so long I have forgotten how not to be, though I am sure I wasn't that way once.

    ReplyDelete