Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Something I would have missed ...

... but for Maxine Clarke bringing it to my attention, along with this note: Blogs as therapy.
I can't say I've ever been much for therapy - though I've had a few brushes with it and am no worse for it. My wife was watching some guy on one of the public TV channels the other night - somebody pitching something about inspiration. Yesterday, when I had to write my weekly column, I could have used some, but I couldn't wait around for it, so I just plunged in, writing what I could. After I got stuck, I gave up, went to the office, and got through as much as I could there. Felt lousy on the walk home but settled down to work again around 8 and, lo and behold, the column started taking shape and by 10 p.m. I was done. I slept well and woke up feeling pretty good. I doubt anybody will think the column inspired, but it does the job.

2 comments:

  1. Yea, but where do I get therapy to deal with the compulsion of Blogging?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you going to link to the column, Frank? Would like to read it. (Perhaps it isn't live yet.)

    I am not a writer or anything creative, but I do find that I can be wrestling with a problem in this way, then switch off for a while, then find that somehow my thoughts have rearranged themselves subsconsciously and the solution is evident. Happens with memory too. And crossword clues.

    (Bonnie: Blogging *is* therapy!! Charge yourself 100 dollars an hour and maybe you'll be able to cut down!)

    ReplyDelete