Sunday, May 28, 2006

Why poets should find actors ...

... to perform their poems. Admittedly, it's hard to get better than Richard Burton reading John Donne.


  1. All depends on what you're looking for in a reading!

    For Mary Oliver fans, a reading in Seattle she gave shortly after her lifetime partner, Molly Malone Cook died:

    I went to the Geraldine R. Dodge festival one year to hear her read, and was heartbroken to learn she was too ill to attend.

  2. I look for someone with a good voice who can read well. I can name any number of poets who don't pass muster. In fact, poets who read well seem to be the exception. One of the best was Kenneth Patchen. I have never heard Mary Oliver, but it so happens I just happen to have found a CD of her reading 40 of her poems. So I'll take a listen