Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Civility makes a comeback ...

... maybe: A Call for Manners in the World of Nasty Blogs. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)

Not surprisingly, the Times is getting around to this fairly late in the game. GLenn Reynolds, who has been on it from the start has more that is more to the point here and here.

I quite agree with this: "I certainly don't believe that deleting nasty comments is an assault on free speech. Commenters can always get their own blog -- why should they have a 'right' to have their comments appear on other people's blogs."

2 comments:

  1. I get the Blog Her emails, so read their proposed code of content and reasons for same when they sent it. Blimey, was it tedious and impossible to follow. Focused, not.

    Yes there are some nast people out there, as Kathy Sierra found. We've seen it on our blogs too -- you and I have, certainly, Frank.

    What can one say? To me, it is nothing new. I haven't seen anything on a blog, and I include the messages Kathy S received, that I hadn't seen pre-blogging, via phone, email or letter from violent, frustrated and aggressive people.

    Codes of conduct for blogs are irrelevant: one can ignore blogs, and one can delete comments that offend the blogger/reader.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again, I have to agree, Maxine. Post something offensive on this blog and I will remove it. Because it's my blog. I do not post snarky comments on other people's blogs and I don't expect people to post such here. I have in my time delivered - and received - my share of knuckle sandwiches. I can't help but feel that the people who are so brave at a keyboard would be far less so in a bar.

    ReplyDelete