Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Ed Pettit and Scott Stein ...

... meet and chat.

"I write while wearing headphones and listening to loud music. For Lost, in the early going, I listened over and over to Mahler’s fifth symphony. Other stuff too, but mainly Mahler’s fifth. When I was further along, I switched in loud rock music. But in the beginning, lyrics bothered me. The same thing happened when writing Mean Martin Manning. Early on, I listened over and over to Mahler’s sixth symphony. The beginning of it captured, for me, the tension of his desperation as Alice Pitney threatened his peace in his apartment. It’s about creating the right frame of mind, mood, intensity, as I’m writing. Later, I was able to switch in rock songs with lyrics. I don’t know why it’s been Mahler at the beginning of both books."

Gee, Mahler's sixth is one of the most harrowing pieces of music I know.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:59 AM

    Yes, "harrowing" is the right word.

    ReplyDelete