Sunday, November 04, 2007

We link ...

... you decide: Captain Picard Meets Supermouse on a Hot Planet.

Bryan and I don't exactly agree when it comes to planetary warming, but what he has to say is worth reading because it's well-researched, thoughtful journalism. I shall certainly ponder it carefully.

What is particularly good about this piece is how it lays out the complexity involved. I have no objection whatever to strategies and technologies to reduce emissions. (I walk to and from work every day - four and a half miles round trip - I live in the city, and my wife rarely drives the car. She bikes everywhere.) I also think that increased use of nuclear energy is a good idea. (I would note that Three Mile Island was really a disaster averted, not a disaster - which Chernobyl certainly was.) I would like to have some account taken of the known increase in solar activity during the last century, as well as the evidence that other planets seem to be warming up as well. We do, after all, live in what is known as the solar system, the central heating of which derives from that star we call the sun. Finally, I think there's a typo in the opening sentence. Arrhenius died in 1927, so the likelihood of his suggesting anything nine years later is remote.

No comments:

Post a Comment