Friday, December 07, 2007

Ah, controversy ...

... Is Our New National Literary Culture Left-Wing? (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)

Well, I suppose John Freeman's political views are noticeably to the left of my own - but that has never stopped the two of us from getting along (and occasionally disagreeing in, I might add, a quite cordial way). So John advocates for his point of view. So what? I advocate for mine, too.
I did think Elliott Weinberger's treatment of Bruce Bawer when the NBCC nominations were announced was uncalled for - because it was rude and because I think Weinberger thinks he knows more about geopolitics than he actually does.

By the way, I don't think reading has declined as much as we are often told it has and I certainly don't think this has anything to do with liberal vs. conservative. I will have more to say about this in the spring issue of Boulevard - but that's all I'm saying now. I'm stressed out.

No comments:

Post a Comment