Sunday, March 09, 2008

Cool it ...

... Don't hit the panic button. (Hat tip, Vikram Johri.)

"Evolution has taught us to prioritise anecdotal evidence ..." No it hasn't. Evolution hasn't taught us anything. Evolution describes a process that has - and presumably still is - taking place. It isn't a something or a someone teaching anybody.


No wonder we are scared. If we make the wrong choices, if we eat the wrong food or take the wrong alleyway home, and something awful happens, we have only ourselves to blame.

Well, I'm not scared. But then, I have a high fear threshold, and I can't ever remember panicking in my life. On the other hand, I don't do bungee-jumping or rock-climbing, because I don't like taking gratuitous risks, either.

I suggest that today's worrywarts read Barbara Tuchman's A Distant Mirror. Then they might have some idea of how well off they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment