Sunday, July 20, 2008

Bryan sees the future ...

... and is horrified: Stoooopid .... why the Google generation isn’t as smart as it thinks.

Well, as I've said, I heard much the same thing when I was a kid, and look how well I turned out.

Update: The longer I think about this, the more I suspect the technology angle is something of a red herring, and that what we're really talking about is mankind's age-old inability or refusal set and abide by limits. I watch almost no television. I rarely listen to the radio, and I never listen to talk radio. I go to movies only as frequently as I ever did, which is to say occasionally. I don't have a cell phone or a blackberry or an iPod (though that may change). I don't feel any need to keep up with the latest trend in pop music or, come to think of it, the latest trend in anything else. I do have a Kindle. And I think the computer is a vast improvement over the typewriter. And I think the internet is a much better means for keeping yourself reasonably well-informed than any newspaper, magazine or TV show that I've heard tell of. When I was in my teens I could spend an hour or more on the phone talking to friends. I can't imagine doing that now. And I'll bet that all the kids interacting on MySpace will some day look back and think much the same thing. I suppose, of course, it wouldn't be the 21st century if we weren't poking around looking for something else to feel dread about. Time has solved that problem for me. Sometime within the next 20-odd years or so I will probably die.

Post bumped.

No comments:

Post a Comment