Wednesday, July 02, 2008

I'm not sure ...

... this something good: The Chief Justice, Dylan and the Disappearing Double Negative.

I like songs as much as the next person, but I don't look to them to articulate ideas exactly, if only because I don't think that much deep thought goes into them. I'd feel better if I knew the Chief Justice appreciated the Brahms symphony I'm listening to (No. 4, with the great Barbirolli and the Vienna Philharmonic). So go ahead: Call me an elitist. Frankly, I'm tired of listening to grizzled boomers going on about their pop music epiphanies.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:46 AM

    Couldn't agree more, Frankly. It's not only sick, sick, sick, and tiring; it's also tiresome, one of the (many) reasons it was no big loss to sign off the contract for the book on Leonard Cohen. Am far more interested in Shostakovich, Haydn, et so forthia. (But, shhh . . .; don't let Bryan hear me say that too loudly, he's still a fan of L. C. and does go on about his tune, "Hallelujah," which you can find on one of them L. C. fansites.)

    On another note, if I hear the Eagles, or CCR, or Zed Lep, or SpringSpoing, or BU 2 one more time, I'm gonna wash my ears out with soap; then, stop 'em up, Calypso-istically speaking.

    I'm not old enough to be a boomer, I guess. OTOH, I'm pretty close; but, you're so right about so many of those you've mentioned these past few months. Glenn Gould just sounds humdingeringly betterer and betterer to me. Even Guy Clark still twizzes my nix more than anything on the pop-music soundscape (said the ex-music columnist).

    There's nothing left to be said about the Beatles; and, oh, gawd, the Rolling Bones, and yech, now, Rush is on the local CBC radio station and yadda-yadda-yawn.

    Guess I'm grumpy this morning, too; guess I'm getting too contrarian to be untrue or blue :). Maybe a good ol' cuppa will bring me around. Ear cheers & hear's listenin' clearly to U!!1!

    ReplyDelete