Monday, July 21, 2008

On blogging ...

I happened to have had some free time today. And I used a part of it to just take an overview of this blog. What possible value can it have to anyone, myself included?
I know what you're thinking. You're thinking I'm about to launch into some sort of what's-it-all-about-Alfie lamentation and announce my retirement from blogging. Well, think again.My impression of this blog and blogging is rather upbeat.
I have never actually met Maxine or Dave Lull or Judith Fitzgerald or Patrick Kurp or Rus Bowden or Frank McCormick or Lee Lowe or Beau Blue - I could go on naming names, but you get the idea, I'm sure. Nevertheless, I regard all of the aforementioned - and so many others not mentioned (I apologize to those) - as friends of mine (Nige, of course, is mon sembable, mon frere) . We may not share geographical proximity, but we do share what, for want for a better term, I shall call spiritual proximity. And I have corresponded with most of those I have mentioned. Maxine and I could have known each other in a previous life - and maybe did - we are so simpatico. Judith Fitzgerald is the poet I should have got to know years ago.
None of this would be so but for blogging. The internet is in fact cutting the red tape when it comes to human encounter. Who knows what the long-term consequence of this will be.
One other thing: Looking over this blog, I got the impression that it was a better and more accurate expression who I actually happen to be than anything else I have done in my life. What ya sees it what ya gets.
I guess that's why I keep doing it (with a lot of help from people like Dave and Rus) and probably will keep doing it. Because I'm glad I got to know all those people. After all, I wouldn't have otherwise.
Postscript: I should have mentioned Mark Sarvas and Scott Esposito and Ed Champion and Sarah Weinman, all of whom reviewed for me and who I wouldn't have got to know but for blogging. And who kept me abreast of what was going on. Thanks to them all. I love these people.
PPS.
I also forgot to mention Paul Davis. But I've actually met Paul. I can only hope to meet Bryan.

6 comments:

  1. Frank, you're going to have to explain yourself...what possible value?? "probably" will keep doing it?

    what gives mon ami?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hear hear Frank! Exactly how I feel about my own blogging activities. As your semblable and frere this is hardly surprising - but true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:20 AM

    Agree completely. Blogging about books has taught me more than anything previously has about books, but friendship is, by far, what I most get out of blogging...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:00 PM

    Agree totally, Frank. I just spent the weekend in Harrogate talking to a lot of lovely people - authors, readers, publishers in various combinations, all of whom I have met because I started blogging. It opens so many internal as well as extrernal doors.

    I certainly hope to meet you in reality, one day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't worry, Nigel, I have every intention of continuing to blog. I should have mentioned you in that post - though we, happily, have met.
    And yes, Maxine, one of these days we shall meet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not sure if a convention is in order but some sort of fair...book bloggers fair would wonderful...or perhaps an affair...not as big as a fair...more exclusive...

    ReplyDelete