Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Heaven forfend ...

... Learning for Everyone. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)

I have a set of the Great Books. It is within easy reach. And Dwight Macdonald could often be something of a fool. I think this says much about the state of schooling thse days:
Molly Rothenberg, a student at St. John's in Annapolis, Md., told Mr. Beam of comparing notes when she was a sophomore with a fellow graduate of the public high school in Cambridge, Mass. St. John's sophomores study works by such authors as Aristotle, Tacitus and Shakespeare. Her friend was attending Bates College in Maine. "She told me they were studying Rhetoric," Ms. Rothenberg said, "and they would be watching episodes of 'Desperate Housewives' and listening to Eminem. They were going to analyze it. I just laughed. What could I say?"

No comments:

Post a Comment