Saturday, December 20, 2008

Found! But, Only Gawd Knows Where . . .

A rare first edition hard-cover copy of Sylvia Plath's Ariel, according to The Press Association, put in an appearance somewhere on this planet; the book, auctionable, exists in a bookshop somewhere; but, that's neither here nor there since, in truth, what we really discovered is the hack-journo giving the rest of us a bad name:

A rare book of poems by Sylvia Plath has been found in a box of books handed in to a charity shop, where it is being sold just in time for Christmas.

Oxfam worker Eddy Steele spotted the first edition work, titled
Ariel
, as he sorted through the anonymous donation.

The hardback book was in very good condition, with its dustjacket intact and very clean.


Yep. That's all s/he — let's call him / her Pomo-Papparatchik — wrote.

Ed/waaaaa/rd! AB looks good compared with P-P :) . . .

2 comments:

  1. I've got the first-edition hardcover of Ariel which I bought back at university on my desk right now for some possible Corvus references, side by side with Ted Hughes's Crow, heh. Maybe I should donate both to Oxfam?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nein, Nyet, Nope, Nix that Noise.

    I'm changing my name to Oxfam, ipso-quickso (since, Frank will be racing to do the same to get his talons on the Crow).

    But, don'tcha dare do dat, Lee.

    Can we take this to email so my grovelling doesn't embarrass we? LOL. Lucky grrl. You ought to consider auctioning them yourself; I wonder how much they'd fetch?

    I was just over at E-Bay to see what the price was on a Leo lapel pin was: Forty bucks, approx.

    Think the rarest book I own's an orginal first-edition copy of Howl; but, I might be wrong since it's not signed. Mebbe it's a signed copy of Michael Ondaatje's Coming Trhough Slaughter, one of the most brilliant books ever inked.

    Hedgie organises his books by country of birth. I organise mine by Subject Matter alphabetically. But, I organise my clothes in the closet and drawers by ROY G BIV.

    You?

    ReplyDelete